Click the Knob

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tero's Top 10 - SNES

Well, I'm taking a one-week break from videos, so now here's another filler post for you all.

The SNES is probably my favourite of all systems. It basically takes what the NES did well and expands on it in every way. There's just such an amazing line up of classics for this thing.

1 - Megaman X
2 - Secret of Mana
3 - Super Mario World
4 - Chrono Trigger
5 - Kirby Super Star
6 - NBA Jam TE
7 - Biker Mice from Mars
8 - Super Mario RPG
9 - Seiken Densetsu 3
10 - Robotrek


Actually, I've always considered the SNES a "boring" system to make a list of best games for, you can see there's absolutely nothing surprising in the top 5 except for "what order they go in".

Speaking of ordering, I have retroactively changed this entry so that Megaman X is in slot 1. I've always been debating MMX vs SoM for slot 1 on SNES, but as time has gone on, I've shifted towards MMX more and more. For one thing, I've always had trouble calling SoM a 10.0 game (I think I'd give it about 9.9 or 9.8, as good as it is, there are some definite detractions), but I don't feel that way about Megaman X. Megaman X is an easy 10.0.

The bottom 5 is where the list gets somewhat personalized. SD3 being on here shouldn't surprise anyone, seeing as how Secret of Mana is such a favourite of mine. NBA Jam TE is here because it's a fantastic multiplayer game, and perhaps moreso than any other game it can cheer me up in minutes no matter what the issue is. The other two games you probably haven't ever heard of, but they're great - Biker Mice from Mars is what you'd get if you took Rock and Roll Racing and made every part of it better.

I spent ages on Robotrek vs EVO for slot 10, they're both quirky favourites, one is an odd RPG based on making robots, the other is a platformer based on Evolution. In the end I went with the one I've played through more times.

It's probably considered scandalous that Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 6, and Donkey Kong Country aren't here. You'd probably see all of them if the list was expanded to the top 20, they just don't quite make my top 10. As mentioned above, I consider SNES to have the strongest library ever, so all of its top 25 would probably be top 10 material on some other systems.

Interestingly, almost all of these are games I played when I was younger (including SD3, I had a Japanese friend who had the cart). I don't think this is so much indicative of bias so much as I just happened to have very good taste even back then. After all, by the time I was 12 I had probably played as many games as many people will play in their entire lives. The only exception to this is Biker Mice from Mars, which was recommended to me only recently, but I knew it would have to go on the list the moment I played it (it ended up bumping fellow SNES racer F1 ROC 2 off the list).

It's a good thing I bought Chrono Trigger back when it was cheap, too.

No comments:

What's On:

NES:

Adventure Island 3
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Contra
Darkwing Duck
Die Hard
Double Dragon 2
DuckTales
DuckTales 2
Eliminator Boat Duel
Felix the Cat
Galaxy 5000
GI Joe: A Real American Hero
Hi no Tori
Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road
Jackal
The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper
Journey to Silius
KickMaster
The Little Mermaid
Little Nemo the Dream Master
Low G Man
MC Kids
Megaman 2
Metal Storm
Ninja Gaiden
Paperboy
Power Blade
Rampart
SCAT
Shatterhand
Snake Rattle n' Roll
Stunt Kids
Super C
Super Mario Bros
Super Robin Hood
TaleSpin
Widget
Yume Penguin Monogatari


Master System:

Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap


SNES:

Aladdin
Battle Dodgeball
Battletoads and Double Dragon
Biker Mice From Mars
Bonkers
Bubsy
Cool Spot
Demon's Crest
Dolucky's A-League Soccer
Donkey Kong Country
F1 ROC 2 Race of Champions
Ganbare Goemon 2
The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
Megaman X
NBA Jam TE
Pac Man 2: The New Adventures
Pieces
Plok
Pocky and Rocky
Sparkster
Super James Pond
Super Mario World
Tetris Battle Gaiden
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
U.N. Squadron
Wario's Woods
Yoshi's Cookie


Genesis:

Alien Soldier
Castlevania Bloodlines
Chiki Chiki Boys
Cyberball
Knuckles Chaotix
Puggsy
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic the Hedgehog 2


N64:

Bust a Move '99
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Kart 64
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
NFL Blitz Special Edition
Penny Racers
Pokemon Puzzle League
Sin and Punishment
Snowboard Kids
Super Mario 64


PSX:

Bishi Bashi Special 2
Bishi Bashi Special 3
Choro Q2
Monster Rancher 2
Pocket Fighter
Snowboard Kids Plus
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage


GC

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle


PS3

Puyo Puyo Tetris


GB

Batman
Megaman V
Trip World


GBA

Megaman Zero
Summon Night Swordcraft Story


DOS:

Holiday Hare
Jazz Jackrabbit
XMas Skyroads

Community Access Channel

Here I've listed a handful of games I've considered doing runs for. If you have a particular preference for one of these games, you can vote for it here. There's no guarantee that a game that gets a lot of votes would get done right away, but it might influence me when picking the next game to do.

Should I switch to using Youtube?

Player Info:

My photo
I'm just a guy who plays far too many video games. I own an Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64, Playstation, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Wii, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, DS, and PSP, as well as far more games than I could count.

I started doing these game runs both as a way to show off and to challenge myself. Mostly the former, though.